Streets

Streets

Main Street Glencraig

On the left side Kingston Cottage, Largo Cottages and Curries Cottages on the right corner of Artella Cottages, Almar Cottages, Strathmore Cottage and Curries Buildings.

 

Taken from Curries Cottages

Looking towards Crosshill, the first building on the right is Curries buildings the single storey building on the right hand side is Mitchell’s Cycle Shop. Mr. Mitchell played a very important part in communications in the 1920/30s as the radios were powered by an accumulator which had to be charged regularly and this was the only shop in the village to give this service. On the left is the corner of Walkingshaws Cottage and the gable of Gordon Place.

The first coal company houses coming from lochgelly

Burnside Cottages were situated between Mitchell’s Cycle Shop and Hunters Inn.

Main Street Glencraig looking towards lochgelly

On the left side Hunters Inn, Burnside Cottages and the gable of Curries Buildings, on the right hand side with the tradesman standing at Charles Barclay Chemist, Meadow field Cottage, Gordon Place, Walkingshaw Cottage and Curries Cottages. Charles Barclay was advisor to the villagers on what medication they required as a visit from the Doctor cost two shillings and six pence (12½ pence) which few could afford a large amount in the 1920/30s.

Main Street Glencraig looking towards Crosshill

The first shop on the left Charlies Barclay Chemist then Mr Crieghton Clothier and then John Hunters Licenced Grocers. The building on the right is Lochgelly Co-op opened in 1903.

Main Street Glencraig

John Hunter in front of his Licensed Grocers prior to the building of Hunters Inn on the opposite side of the road.

Lochgelly Co-operative Glencraig Branch 1903

The Co-op was always the main suppler of goods in the village at its peak the Lochgelly Co-op employed over 500 of a staff. Amazing that if you ask most elderly people what the family Co-op number was it is still embedded in their minds. Of course the dividend was always an attraction and in 1937 it was three shillings and seven pence in for every pound spent.

Main Street

The first site of the Gospel Hall was through a passage in the building to the right in a hall know Lynas Hall and later moved to the opposite end of that building.

Main Street

In the building on the right was Long View a Billiards Hall, Co-op Drapery Nevay Hairdresser the Gospel Hall moved into the empty shop which had been used as a house which was renovated for their purpose. Over a long period in time the Munro Family spent all of their time and energy to the running of the gospel hall and providing financial support. Malvenan Baker occupied the shop in the next building McMenamins Buildings.

Malvenan Bakerey

On the ground in the forefront of the picture on many occasions was used for public meetings and a favourite place for Abe Moffat the man who led the Miners Union with great distinction especially during the enquiry into the Knockshinoch Disaster.

Malvean Bakerey

McMenamins Buildings

George Robson, Baby Geddes and three other Geddess, Bridget Rush, Sarah McCormack Charles McCormack.

North Glencraig From The Bridge

On the right hand side Glencraig Gothenburgh just visable McIntyres Chip Shop the next building the Post Office. On the left side Houstons Buildings Flachert General Store, Dawson Hairdresser, Lala Penman Chip Shop, Mrs. Cannon Drapery then in the next building Selby Newsagent and Selby Cobbler.

Glencraig House

Prior to Glencraig House being built on the site another house stood called Cluniecraig House which had been built in the seventeenth century by the Betson family.


One of my early recollections is of Saturday nights the Glencraig Pipe Band under the Pipe Major Tom Jackson playing at the lovely tree lined avenue (later to be covered by the bing) to Glencraig House, then before closing time adjourning into the Gothenburgh. Of course the Pipe Band was not the only band in the village we had a couple of dance bands one a family group the Rush Family and the other John Feely both extremely popular and always in demand for dances through out the area.

Main Street Looking South

On the left the corrugated building was a chip shop owned by Mr. & Mrs. McIntyre but was dismantled around 1928, then the Gothenburgh, on the right Selbies Newsagent and Houstons Buildings  the shops being occupied by Cannon, Penman. Dawson and Flacarty. In the centre of the picture immediately behind the tramcar is McMenimens Buildings the course of the burn had to be altered away from the road side to allow the building of them and Lofty View, Excelsior Buildings and Hunters Inn.

Main Street Glencraig Looking South

Main Street Glencraig Looking South

Clune Terrace

Clune Terrace was the only council houses built in the glencraig village and was only built in the late 1930s

Residents of Clune Terrace

Jean Duncan, Margaret Carr, Isabella Cook, Jean Higgs. Nancy Johnston, Betty Smith, Jean Cotter.

Robert Shepherd

Robert Shepherd owned the butchers until 1947/48

Robert Shepherd

George Stahly a member of a well known Lochgelly family of butchers who took over the business from Robert Shepherd on his retrial.

Page 1 from 1

Use the buttons to view the pages or click next.